Tickets - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/stories-of-an-abandoned-virginia-the-presidents-heads-tour-tickets-59207471140
This program is brought to you by John Plashal and Elisabeth Rigsby. Come spend your Saturday afternoon enjoying this highly visual presentation of Virginia's "abandoned afterworld". Plashal is an adventurer, author, photographer and public speaker who has not only spent many years identifying and photographing beautifully decaying houses, churches, schools, hospitals and other structures throughout rural Virginia, but has assimilated into their respective communities to learn about their accompanying backstories. He and his colleague Elisabeth created the photographic coffee table book called "A Beautifully Broken Virginia", a 120 page collection of images of dilapidated Virginia landmarks that have been "frozen in time" and have fallen into a beautiful state of decay. This program, "Stories of an Abandoned Virginia", is a follow up to their book. It is a super-unique presentation full of powerful imagery and emotional stories revolving around these abandoned Virginia structures and the accompanying Virginians that once occupied them.
Your afternoon will begin with the Storytelling Session in the Worship Center at the Liberty Live Church on 8201 Croaker Rd. This program will begin at 3PM and conclude at 4:30PM. You will then be escorted , with full permission from the landowner, to the property on which the internationally popular Presidents Heads now reside and gracefully decay, and will be allowed to roam the area to observe these iconic artifacts until 6PM.
- This will be a rain or shine event and may only be cancelled in the event of lightning, in which case a full refund will be issued.
- A Waiver of Liability form will need to be signed prior to the program as you enter the church foyer.
- There are tickets for sale to an identical 10:00AM program on 4/13 as well.
- A General Admission ticket entitles you to both the Storytelling Session in the Worship Center and access to the Presidents Heads. You do not have to do both but the ticket price is the same. The Storytelling Session will occur from 3PM-4:30PM and access to the Heads will be anytime between 4-6PM. If you only want access to the Heads, and do not plan to attend the Storytelling Session, you still need to check in at the church foyer to get a wristband and sign a waiver form. Access will be permitted beginning at 4PM.
- Please only park in the Liberty Live Church parking lot. There is plenty of space. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ACCESS HAMPTON ROADS MATERIALS, INC. You will be turned away.
- The area in which the Heads reside is probably going to be very muddy. Please plan accordingly. Once you exit the inside of the church, you may not re-enter, out of respect of keeping the interior of the church clean.
- Children ARE allowed to attend under the close supervision of their parents/guardian but are required to buy a ticket unless they are 6 years of age or under.
- Tickets will ONLY be sold online and not at the door. Please do not show up to this event hoping to purchase a ticket on the spot. We will not have any.
- I would discourage SLR enthusiasts and professional photographers from coming to this event for strictly photography reasons- largely due to the anticipated crowds. There will be other smaller events announced shortly with far fewer people designed exclusively for photographers.
Are there ID or minimum age requirements to enter the event?
No but all children aged 7 or older must purchase a ticket for admission.
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
You may only park at the Liberty Live Church parking lot at 8201 Croaker Rd. Williamsburg, Va. 23188. DO NOT ATTEMPT ACCESS TO HAMPTON ROADS MATERIALS.
What can I bring into the event?
Your worst clothes and shoes or boots that you are comfortable with throwing away after the event. There is a high likelihood of it being very muddy near the Heads. Camera gear is permitted at the Heads but it will be crowded. No alcohol is allowed.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Please do not attempt to contact the Presidents Heads landowner about this event. I am the organizer. All questions should be directed to "firstname.lastname@example.org".
What's the refund policy?
There are only 2 situations in which refunds will be offered. 1) A lightning storm 2) If the Heads are sold and moved prior to the event. All updates from either situation will be given in the discussion section of the Facebook Event on "John Plashal Photo" on Facebook.